Icons are painted images of saints, angels and the divine that are used in community worship and individual devotions.They are theology written in images and color.
The Icon Guild of Southern California ascribes to the Icon methodologies taught by the Prosopon School of Iconology (www.prosoponschool.org).
The group's beginnings were inspired by Angeleno Kim Litsey who departed in 2009 to pursue her studies at Yale University and was ordained to the Episcopal Diaconate priesthood in 2014. Kim currently serves a congregation on the East Coast and we are indebted to her for her vision of forming the Guild.
Handing the baton of leadership to Anna Mae Kass and then to Edward Beckett, the group attracts a following of Orthodox, Catholic, Episcopalian, Jewish, Buddhist and non-religious people, all of whom embrace the discipline of the art form.
So whoever you are, if you are attracted to the spiritual and contemplative nature of writing Icons in the 14th Century Russian Byzantine style, you are welcome to sign up for our workshops and classes.
Classes that lead to the completion of one Icon over 9 months taught by Edward Beckett, Iconographer Instructor in the Prosopon teaching program
Class dates for 2023 in Los Angeles:
(at Beckett Studio in Alhambra--10 minutes from the 10 Freeway East, off at Garfield exit)
For Los Angeles class info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Beginning Los Angeles students will focus on Archangel Gabriel or Archangel Michael this year.
Six-person socially-distanced and masked in-person classes in Los Angeles
- Jan 21: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
- Jan 28 (Feb 4 & 18): Sat 9:30 am - Los Angeles CLINIC II: GOLD - for details, separate email coming.
- Jan 28: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class places available, dependent upon CLINIC participation
- Feb 4 & 18: Sat 9:30 am - Los Angeles CLINIC II: GOLD - for details, please request
- Feb 4: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class places available, dependent upon CLINIC participation
- Feb 18: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class places available, dependent upon CLINIC participation
- Mar 4: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
- Mar 18: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
- Apr 1: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
- Apr 15: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
JUNE (Summer months have 1 class per month)
- May 6: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
- May 20: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
JULY (Summer months have 1 class per month)
- Jun 10: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
AUGUST (Summer months have 1 class per month)
- Jul 15: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
- Aug 12: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
- Sept 9: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
- Sep 23: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
- Oct 7: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
- Oct 21: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
- Nov 12: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
- Dec 10: Sat 10 am Los Angeles class
The sponsor of our two week-long events is Thad's Episcopal Church in Santa Monica.
Thank you very much to this parish for their support of these two events.
Paints will be prepared and provided for beginners in class. The students will need to purchase their board, brushes, pallets and compasses. Specific information will be sent upon registration.
Born 1938 in St. Petersburg, Russia, Vladislav Andrejev began teaching Iconography in 1985. In 2000 the Prosopon School of Iconology was blessed into being by the Holy Fathers of the Orthodox Church of America.
After receiving a formal education in fine art, Vladislav became interested in religious art, which was impossible to express openly during those times of the Soviet regime. His search for deeper meaning in art and life led him to solitary travels in parts of the Russian wilderness and to independent study of Icon and fresco painting with a secluded Russian monk Icon writer.
Mr. Andrejev was able to immigrate to the United States in 1980 and currently lives in New York state. He is a highly accomplished Master and head of the Prosopon School of Iconology who has written many Icons, created motivational teaching DVDs and is a much
We are also happy to have Vladislav's son, Master Iconographer Dmitri Andreyev of the Prosopon School, as our instructor from time to time. Dmitri teaches all over the country.
Icon Guild of Southern California membership is open to those who commit to attending two years of classes or two workshops within a period of five consecutive years.
Because of their support and participation in the Icon Guild of Southern California, Icon Guild members may post their Icons on this website. Find member's work posted here. At the moment, all icons that are posted are the work of Edward Beckett.
As other members post their work, member names will be added under the works. Contact Edward Beckett at the email address posted above if you wish to purchase or commission an Icon.